SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will say the Sig 556 patrol looks dumb in pics. but.... today I handled my friends and shot it and WOW!!!! IT IS SWEET!!!!!

I felt a 556 swat and it seemed front heavy. The patrol; however, is amazingly ballanced. Is the gas system shorter on the patrol? Is the 556 patrol less reliable than the classic?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Isn't it the fore ends that are different? I believe the gas systems are the same.
In any case, I have the Patrol and I like it. I know some people don't because they say the gas system will beat itself up. It may have a shorter overall life ... but any parts can be replaced.
I don't think average reliability would be any different aside from the factor mentioned above. Just keep it lubed well and maintain it. That will give it the longest possible life.

EDIT:
Okay, the SWAT is apparantly available in a full length gas system as well as a Patrol SWAT version. I misunderstood the point.
Of course the LONGER FOREND VERSION will have a longer gas system ~~~irregardless of what kind of handguards are used. :? :? :roll: :oops:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Alfred, are your telling me you have seen both guns and can't see that the gas system is shorter? Seriously? If my rifle has a gas block that is 12" from the receiver, and yours is 8" away, it doesn't take a lot of figuring to realize the piston and spring are shorter, right? Also comparing a swat with a heavy quad rail to a patrol with a short handguard is apples and oranges, of course the swat will be heavier. Buy what you like and shoot what you like, but comparisons like this are hardly worth thinking too hard about. Any gun you load a bunch of crap on the front of, is going to be unbalanced. :?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Here is a graphical representation of why shorter barrels are going to take a greater beating.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts