SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range again today , 55-60 degrees, sunny, winds - light and variable. Aside from the great weather, a few interesting things....

I'd removed the scope after my last trip to the range, since I basically have to when I remove the hand guards for cleaning (though I'd replaced them too). So I set the scope (CP 4x16) on the rail, push down forward, and tighten it up, load a 5rd mag of 55gr black hills and I'm hitting 10's.... For a 69$ walmart special, return to zero was no m.o.a loss. So I kept shooting, and ended up with this ....

Today was "shoot off all the black hills ammo" day, so next I loaded up some 68gr, and the rounds went in 2inches high and right. Dial it down and left, and @ 100yrds it was 8-10rings. No pics of the target since my shooting still sucks, but the groups at 100 and 50yrds were wider than the 55gr. bi

Finished off the 68gr, and loaded the 75gr and fired high and right again. Dialed it down, and same scenario. Seems my 556 prefers 55gr ammo so far. I'll have to see how my shooting improves as I work through the case of XM193, but for now I'll hold off buying some bulk 75gr bullets and buy some 55/75gr to work up.

------

Sighted in the 522 with 32gr CCI Stinger HPs again since the scope came off while I worked on the hand guards to get the top one off. 15rounds for function check with the new blackdog mags (all ran fine) at the left dot, then went to work for zero. The 2x7 worked perfectly, awesome low cost plinking scope.

After the final 3rd group, I switched to mini mags, since the stingers are 'the good stuff'. With lower velocity and heavier bullets, I'd have expected to see more of a difference in POA/POI. Maybe if I did the math it wouldn't be so pleasantly surprising, but the 36gr mini mags POI was only 1/4-1/2inch lower. Works for me for fun and practice without having to fiddle with the non target knobs on the 2x7.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
When you sight in the 556 with 55 grain bullets @ 100 yards the heavier 68-69 and 75 grain bullets always print considerably higher. With my rifle it is about 4 inches higher but the accuracy of the heavier bullets has been good for me.

Looks like you have your 553 dialed in. Check out the new Redfiled "Revolution" 2-7 power scope, they are awesome for the money.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I zero'd at 50yrds for a 50/200. The difference I saw when I first switched to 68's at 100 was upper right of the paper outside the rings, then I realized I should probably check the dials for 50.... :oops:

Yeah I saw the write up on redfield this month, and if I hadn't gotten the CP's I'd probably get one of those. But for now, more ammo and a LaRue mount are on the budget :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts