SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the daughter to the range this morning now that I've adjusted the front sight as needed to get a decent 100 yards zero. I had to remove quite a lot, and apparently I'm not quite done taking metal off...

Anyway, she dared me to get 2 10 rounds mags in the black since I kept telling her that she could be doing better. Here's the result.

50 yards, prone, Harris bipod, and Remington Thunderbolt ammo.

The A23 target black is a hair under 4 inches. The best 13 shots are in a 2" diameter. Nothing wrong with that rifle, clearly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the Sig hooded front and diopter rear on my 522. Because I couldn't get them to line up no matter what I tried, switched to MI front sight and rear BUIS. I had to take about 3/4 of the front post off to get a zero!

·
Registered
101 Posts
SIG 522

Some of the 522's come standard with the Hooded Front Site and a SIG Reddot, when you order the Rear Diopter from SIG, you must SPECIFY that it is for the 522 ! due to the ballistics .223 vs.22LR. SIG makes a seperate Diopter for the 522.
I just got a 522 and put a set of Aurora sites on it, haven't had time yet to make it to the range for a test.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: SIG 522

alexwpilot said:
Some of the 522's come standard with the Hooded Front Site and a SIG Reddot, when you order the Rear Diopter from SIG, you must SPECIFY that it is for the 522 ! due to the ballistics .223 vs.22LR. SIG makes a seperate Diopter for the 522.
I just got a 522 and put a set of Aurora sites on it, haven't had time yet to make it to the range for a test.
Must be a new thing. I ordered directly from SIG through their direct military sales program. I also specifically asked for sights for both rifles, and their response at the time was sorry, don't carry sights for the 522, try LPA.

That was January 2010.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Called sig this morning and asked about a diopter sight for the 522, seeing how I just ordered one for the 556 to put on my 522 and now read that it likely won't zero. The guy said " should be a month or so" for a 522 specific rear sight and wasn't sure if it was going to be similar in style or have just a different drum that would retro fit to the 556 rear sight. If it's timeline is similar to the 522's, who knows when it'll be out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's yesterday's results at 100 yard, using Armscor 36g plated ammo. It's clean and reasonably accurate at this distance. I am thrilled with the 522, and wish my old man could have bought me something like it when I was my daughter's age! Someone tell her how lucky she is... ;)

The couple of large holes are, naturally, my buddy forgetting to aim at his own target... That would be the hole in the 9 ring paster, and the one in the X paster.

I think the hard work put on the front sight has paid off, and while I too would have preferred if the top of the post were centered in the middle of the hood, I don't feel I had a hard time getting this result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts