SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I landed on a C-130 at Vung Tau, Republic of Vietnam, joining 1st Bn, 173rd Airborne Brigade Seperate. We had been deploying since 5 May, 2nd Bn to Bien Hoa, 1st to Vung Tau, to start our 90 TDY (Temp. Duty Assign.). About 90 days later another C-130 would land with a Pay Team to pay us our TDY pay. We would then be PCS (Permenent Change of Staion), we were staying. I was 17 at the time. We would then move to Bien Hoa and link up with 2nd Bn. A few Operations after after Hump, they tried to send anyone under 18 1/2 back to Okinawa till I were 18 and a half, new policy, I along with others refused. They had us burnig shit till we turned 18 and a half instead of going on Operations. Lucky me, I think it was only a few weeks, but not fun. We listened to Hanoi Hannah when we could, she loved us. She had a lot of cool names for us, "The Teenage Brigade", "Johnston's Headhunters" and others. There were only about 3,000 of us then and after every Opereation she would anounce that the V C had killed about 1,000-1,500 of the 173rd. She was a better moral booster then the USO sometimes, we would laugh at her. I was a slow learner, kept going back and left after the POW's, I was assigned to the JMC (Joint Military Commision) then, we co-ordinated the tranfer of the POW's. It was comprised of a Canadien, Indonisian, Polish and Checlozlavakien Army unit. Kissinger sold us out!! Instead of demanding a complete accounting, he gave the NVA a list of who we knew the had taken Prisoner. He demanded a complete accounting of that list, guess who we got back? We left hundreds over there because of that "Great Negotiator", all the Air Force Weapons Officers that went straight to Russia for interogation and others!

·
Registered
161 Posts
windwalker said:
I landed on a C-130 at Vung Tau...
I've spoken at length to Vietnam Veterans, but almost always the conversation is about where and what they did in country, but never the following:

I've often wondered, but never asked, "Given the opportunity, would you ever go back and visit?"

Jack

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you for your service, Windwalker.
When I think of how we prosecuted that war ... and how we treated the people we sent over there to fight it .... I mostly feel shame.
But the soldiers themselves did a great job.
It was the politicians who shafted them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I could afford it yes

Be interesting to find some of my old LN's, if they survived the re-education camps. Found the son of the Village Chief of My Tho in Canada by accident on the internet. Also like to go to some of the "Yard's" villages around PlieKu and see if the VN's are treating them any better. I came to peace with my self and Nam many years ago. Watching a episode of Police Story, the cop shot a teenager who popped up from behind a bed and pulled a gun on him and went to drinking in sorrow and guilt. I thought he was stupid, he had done the right thing. Then I thought I was crazy because I felt that way. After a while I realized I was fine, society was nuts being stupid about taking a life in self defence and feeling remorse. My life changed dramaticly after, quit drinking, no more nightmares or guilt trips. Things just kept getting better after that, "One day at a time".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Windwalker, Thank you very much for your service. You have my deepest respect.

I just picked up the book, "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War," by Phillip Jennings after listening to him during a radio interview. It's nice to read something positive about that war.

edit: I just read your response and I'm glad you over came it. I have buddies that were Commanders sending younger men to die and they just told me that every opportunity they had to talk about it to release more and more of the bad memories.

My Best Wishes

·
Registered
593 Posts
there's a good indictment of Kissinger written by Christopher Hitchens. Interesting read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts