SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

.223 Rem 75GR HPBT Reloads

324K views 158 replies 21 participants last post by  SkyPup 
#1 ·
Does anyone reload .223 (.224) Rem using 75GR HPBTs? The 556 loves heavier bullets and functions flawlessly using either 75GR Hornady or Privi Partizan Match (factory loaded) ammo.

I'm trying to develop some accurate reloads using both Hornady and Partizan 75GR HPBT bullets. Despite numerous online searches (to include this forum), I’ve found little info (recipes) for the Sig 556's fast 1 in 7 twist - 16" barrel. Nearly all printed guides list the Hornady 75GR HPBT with longer barrels. Does anyone have any starter recipes or online links they’d be willing to share? My starter loads will be based on:

Rifle: Sig 556
Barrel: 16”
Twist: 1 in 7
Bullets: Hornady 75GR HPBT Match
Privi Partizan 75GR HPBT Match
Primers: CCI 400
CCI 41
Brass: PMC Military (once fired)
Lake City Military (-10%) (once fired)
Powder: ?
Grains: ?
OAL: ?
Data Source: ?

See less See more
#2 ·
The 2009 7th Edition Hornady Reloading Manual has complete Service Rifle loads for the Hornady 75 grain BTHP for use in autoloaders (AR platforms) with a 1:7 twist.

Order that manual for yourself.

I just ordered some Hogdon BL-C(2) powder to take advantage of reloading the above mentioned bullets after learning what I read in that Hornday Manual.

Your right NOT to follow reloading data for bolt action .223 or slower rate of twist though.....

#6 ·
SkyPup said:
RamShot also has some good AR type 1:7 twist loads listed too:

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/loadguide/Ramshot_V4.2.2.pdf
I just got a keg of TAC in, so I'll commence loading up some Hornady 75gr pills tomorrow. Don't have a load developed yet, but am using the arfcom reloading recipe thread for some guidance.

Tried using Varget, but it didn't look like it was going to work very well. TAC is considerably cheaper, anyway. ...And by many accounts, is better for this application.

#8 ·
FWIW...

The following formula appears to show promise, and hasn't yet blown up my rifle:

75gr Hornady BTHP
23.6gr TAC (max load, according to Ramshot)
COL 2.263" +/- ~.004" (variation caused by typical variation in projo length)
IMI once-fired brass, trimmed to min length, polished/reamed/chamfered
WSR primers (the old kind)

Was testing over a chronograph, which I shot. :lol: So, will have to try it again next time after receipt of replacement parts from the manufacturer. Will shoot for accuracy at that time. I anticipate velocity to be ~2650 fps (slightly faster than TAP FPD) in a 16" barrel.

No signs of excessive pressure were witnessed. The spent primers looked pristine; no unusual report or recoil noticed. Temp was around 63 degrees or so.

The next range trip will be switching over to the new style WSR primers, and adding a collet-type crimp. Few people would recommend WSR primers for this application, but it was what I had on hand. Will be switching over to Wolf SRM's after a few more range trips.

#10 ·
Brass: Remington .223 fired once
Powder: Hodgdon BLC-2
Grains: 24.7 (max is 25.2)
OAL: 2.250"
Full Length Resize with RCBS X-Die
Data Source: Hornaday Service Rifle 2008 Manual

Okay, I loaded up my first .223 rounds as listed above and am going to try them out tomorrow. My only question is that the Hornady 75 grain BTJHP bullets do not have a channelure and I did not crimp them.

Question is this going to be okay in a semi-auto? I'm hoping the bullets do not get pushed back down into the shell during the loading process.
Overall length is 2.250"

I also noted that my Federal XM-193 5.56mm and Prvi M855 5.56mm cases could NOT be reloaded as the primer hole is too small for the primers I'm using....apparently only .223 cases can be reloaded without reaming out the primer pockets on the mil-spec ammo.

#11 ·
Question is this going to be okay in a semi-auto? I'm hoping the bullets do not get pushed back down into the shell during the loading process.
Overall length is 2.250"

I also noted that my Federal XM-193 5.56mm and Prvi M855 5.56mm cases could NOT be reloaded as the primer hole is too small for the primers I'm using....apparently only .223 cases can be reloaded without reaming out the primer pockets on the mil-spec ammo.
As far as not putting a crimp in, you should be GTG, given the size of the 556's feed ramp. I've used non crimped bullets with no set back issues.

Most Mil-Spec 5.56 will have a crimped in primer. The quick and cheap fix is to get a hand reaming tool from your local gun/reloading shop.

Please post the results of your loads. I'm kinda anxious to see how they came out for you.

#12 ·
WOW, I am extremely impressed with my very first .223 reloading project.

Here is the load:

Brass: Remington .223 fired once
Powder: Hodgdon BLC-2
Grains: 24.7 (max is 25.2)
OAL: 2.250"
Full Length Resize with RCBS X-Die
Data Source: Hornaday Service Rifle 2008 Manual

And here is the result of the first Eleven Rounds.

Every one was super smooth and flawless, virtually no smoke whatsoever. The accuracy and power appear to be very good. Only problem encounted was recovering my spent casings out in the woods when the SIG flinged them out 15-20 feet (although none of the cases were bent or banged up and all the spent primers looked fine)

Eleven rounds from 50 yards using Eotech 512 from sitting position in about 1.5 inch diameter (I had the Eotech sight zeroed at 50 yards to be one inch high using Prvi 5.56mm 62 grain M855 steel green-tip mil-spec ammo):

Here is my reloading bench:

All in all I am very pleased and next project will be working this up as a Hog Hunting round and firing it at 100 yards through my other SIG 556 with the Burris 1-4X Extreme Tactical Scope for accuracy. 8)

Most likely I will go to 25.0 grains of BLC-2 and stick with that in the future if all is well..

LebbenB, thank you so much for helping me getting started on this, it took awhile to gather all the componets but now I am good to go for at least another 4,000 rounds or so..... :wink:

#13 ·
That's a good looking group, Skypup! And you're welcome, though thanks aren't really necessary. I'm just sharing what little I know.

#14 ·
My Magpul magazine now has 30 freshly made 75 grain Hornaday reloads in it and I've been following a huge boar's track now for over two weeks, haven't seen him yet, just where he has been, but when I do get an eyeball on him, I'll post some pics of the results!!! :wink:

#16 ·
Ah Ha, reloading is great fun! 8)

I moved up to 25.0 grains of BLC-2 and it works just perfect. My 556 has never run as fine as this with any kind of ammo before.

I loaded up 250 rounds individually and rezeroed my scope for bullseye at 50 yards ( as it was shooting over two inches higher than the M-855 62 grain ammo I had previously zeroed it in with).

Now it shoots right on the money over and over again like nobody's business.

I'll try some 100 yard and 250 yard targets next weekend if the weather is good. And if a hog happens to be standing adjacent to my target, so be it, another dead zombie swine in the works!

So glad to have such an awesome hunting round dialed in and also functions as a supreme target round too! 8)

Thanks again to all for getting me going, my 556 absolutely loves these rounds.....

#18 ·
I just wanted to leave a comment about the new RCBS "X-Dies".

So far, I really like this rifle die.

You first deprime the cases and then clean the cases in the vibrator. Then you set the die to full-length resize each case.

Then, instead of trimming the cases to 1.750, you trim them to 1.730 and then resize them again and set the die down onto the case and keep it that way.

After doing this on my first 30 rounds, I have shot them three times and reloaded again without any further case trimming!

The reason is works is after the initial trim to standardize case lengths, the X-Die allows repeated full-length resizing without the case length exceeding the maximum ANSI specification. Routine trimming after each sizing is eliminated. A precision mandrel in the X-Die limits growth of the case without shortening it or causing metal build-up in the neck.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/XDieProductInstructions.pdf

I didn't know if this was going to work for me, but after loading the same cases four times now, I know it works great!

#19 ·
I just loaded up another experiment for this weekend-

Ran out of WSR primers, so have now started using the Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers.

I've also loaded up some trial rounds that are .2 gr over the manufacturer's max charge (TAC powder). Various anecdotal evidences suggest that the max load of 23.6gr for a 75 BTHP may be a bit overly conservative, particularly with a 5.56 chamber vice .223. Sierra, for instance, suggests 24.0 grains of TAC for their 77gr BTHP.

If I'm still alive afterwards, I'll post the chrono results.

#21 ·
GySgt D said:
I just loaded up another experiment for this weekend-

Ran out of WSR primers, so have now started using the Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers.

I've also loaded up some trial rounds that are .2 gr over the manufacturer's max charge (TAC powder). Various anecdotal evidences suggest that the max load of 23.6gr for a 75 BTHP may be a bit overly conservative, particularly with a 5.56 chamber vice .223. Sierra, for instance, suggests 24.0 grains of TAC for their 77gr BTHP.

If I'm still alive afterwards, I'll post the chrono results.
I'd be real careful going over the max load no matter what the story is, especially if you are not individually weighing each and every powder charge weight or using a powder throw based on volume. It simply does not payoff in the long run for the risk and minor velocity increase if any. Too many variables involved....just my own two cents worth.

I'm staying 0.2 grains under the max load for AR type semi-auto service rifles on my loads and they are working outstanding, really don't need anymore than that! :wink:

BTW, the Hodgdon BLC-2 powder I am using fills the case up to the bottom rung of the bottleneck on the .223 cartridge or about 85% or so of full case capacity. I do not want to use any powder that causes compressed loads with the long 75 grain Hornady Match BTHP bullets I am using.

How much powder volume does that TAC powder produce?

#22 ·
Perhaps an eighth of an inch below the shoulder. There is plenty of room left over after the bullet is seated.

When I attempted to make Varget work for this bullet, there was considerable compression of the charge, and velocity went down after a certain point. The best I could do was to match the velocity of TAP FPD, which is loaded to .223 pressures. In a 14.5" barrel, that equates to 2450 fps. Pretty anemic, compared to TAP 5.56. Velocity varied excessively; plus or minus 50 fps. Perhaps Varget would have worked better if I used a magnum primer?

The caution about the over charge is duly noted. If I obtain a minimum of 2550 fps out of the same barrel with the current load, then I won't bother shooting the "+P" test rounds.

Still haven't ordered the replacement parts for the chronograph, but I think that my field expedient repair will suffice for the time being. The major difficulty in developing a load is that the closest range is a two hour round trip, plus range fees. Not anywhere near as convenient as back home in NE Texas, where I could set up in the backyard. :cry:

#24 ·
GySgtD:
How did the wolf small rifle mag. primmers work out? I have some on the way. I have never used wolf primmers before or SRPM. I have loaded thousands of .223 I have always used WSR or CCI. I have used WLRM in 30-338 up to 470 capstick I have even used then in heavy loads for my .35 whelen. I watch my max load when I change any thing in the process.

Nice groups too
Thanks for any info.

#25 ·
Here's your answer-

After an unsatisfying attempt at using Varget for the 75gr Hornady BTHP last November, chronograph difficulties (they don't like being shot), and long delivery times for components, I think I finally got a load I can live with-

Fired from Sig 556 / 16" barrel (I was going to use my 14.5" Mforgery for this, but I figured that y'all would be more interested in the results from the Sig 556. You're welcome..

23.6gr of TAC
WSR primers
COL 2.255"
75gr Hornady BTHP
FC thrice-fired brass (I live life on the edge, baby..)
Trimmed to min length
Lee Factory Crimp
AVG: 2675 fps

Same load, but switching to Wolf SRMagnum primers
AVG: 2651

I dunno how to figure out Standard Deviation. Temp was ~65 and rainy. Didn't shoot for accuracy; iron sights and a Trijicon Reflex, coupled with steamed up sweaty glasses aren't conducive to a meaningful accuracy test. For velocity reference, TAP FPD supposedly clocks 2528 out of a 16" barrel; TAP 5.56 doing 2713.

No obvious signs of excessive pressure were noted. The WSR primers were predictably showed more deformation than the Wolf Small Rifle Magnum. The latter almost looked unfired, save for the firing pin indentation.

A previous range trip had me using Lake City brass and the old style WSR primers (all other factors being equal). While my chrono was down for maintenance at that time, there was likewise no signs of excessive pressure, either.

BTW, as I indicated earlier, I wasn't going to try the +P loads if the one mentioned above worked good. So I didn't. Time to dig out the bullet puller...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.