SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something to have fun with at the range and hunt small game occasionally. I know there is a large price difference in ammo. The .17 HMR seems like a really fun round and has a greater range. Looking to choose either a Savage 93R17GVXP for the .17 HMR or a Ruger 10/22 for the .22 LR.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a Marlin 917 and it's a great squirrel gun. That said, a Ruger 10/22 should be in everyone's gun safe. Both pieces are relatively inexpensive, so buy one this month and the other the next.

Leb

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a custom 10/22 and it shoots like a dream. I really want a .17HMR too but I have 3500rds of Federal .22LR sitting here, so.....

Mississippi Auto Arms sells the RAA Biathlon Basic in both calibers. The .17HMR is easier to get. I'm a wait list for the .22LR version. Hand's down, the best action on a .22LR for under $500

·
Registered
472 Posts
Aaron, I have a Savage .17 HMR. I love it. I have hit dimes at 75y with it. Although it's bolt action and five in the mag, its great fun and VERY accurate! It was $150.

Now if you want some thing just to blam blam blamy with I'd go with the 10/22. Countless options with that piece of work... OR GSG-5 .22lr MP5 clone... almost. That has a lot of options as well.

You can find a range of guns for a range of prices for 22lr. If you want accuracy go with Savage 17 HMR. If you want hours and hours and less on ammo, go with 22lr.

Hope I helped,
Geardo

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone tried firing a .22 CB Long round through the Ruger 10/22? I'm sure it wouldn't have enough power to cycle the rifle, but it should still work...right? You should be able to manually hand cycle the next round.

Anyone care to test it out and report back?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aaron said:
What should the zero be on the .22 LR? 25 yards? 50 yards?
...i would zero it @ 60 yards for a point blank range out to ~ 75 yards...

...or

...i would zero it @ 75 yards for a point blank range out to ~ 90 yards...

...for the 60 yard zero...start out @ 20 yards...POA=POI and adjust and confirm @ 60...for a 75 yard zero...start out @ 25 POA=POI...and adjust and confrim @ 75...

...with either of these zero points you can reasonably shoot well out to and slightly past 100 yards with a slight holdover...

...these would be your most utilitarian zero points when using your typical high velosity 22LR cartrages...i would recomend using Federal American Eagle high velosity 38 grain hollow points...good ammo...reasonably priced...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aaron said:
Looking for something to have fun with at the range and hunt small game occasionally. I know there is a large price difference in ammo. The .17 HMR seems like a really fun round and has a greater range. Looking to choose either a Savage 93R17GVXP for the .17 HMR or a Ruger 10/22 for the .22 LR.
...i would suggest a Ruger 10/22...great little rifle...i've had mine since 1971... 8)

·
Registered
51 Posts
A+ for the 10/22

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have 2 Ruger 10/22's, one from the 70's, one from the 2000's. The newer models are built a little cheaper IMO, the finish is no longer blued but a type of parkerized look, the trigger guard is plastic and trigger pull is stiff as hell. Still a good value at under $200. I also have a Savage 17HMR which I love shoot, is much more accurate than the 10/22 but also more expensive to shoot. If I were to but a new 10/22 I would go for the Walnut stock with stainless finish.

·
Registered
384 Posts
LebbenB said:
I have a Marlin 917 and it's a great squirrel gun. That said, a Ruger 10/22 should be in everyone's gun safe. Both pieces are relatively inexpensive, so buy one this month and the other the next.

Leb
Hehe. agreed. Like most of us I own a lot of cool guns, my arsenal would seem incomplete without a 10/22.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts