Also, do you know what size rings to use with hooded front site

420180: Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Low 1/4In. Height Two Rings --
420181: Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Medium 1/2 In Height Two Rings --
420182: Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch High 3/4Inch Height Two Rings --
420183: Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Extra High 1 Inch Height Two Rings

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-xtre ... rings.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 am 

Skypup has a Burris XTR on his SIG and loves it. I have used Burris scopes before and have had nothing but positive experiences with them. I know they are out of Colorado but I don't know if they are still built there or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am 

Here is my Burris XTR with the medium rings (which is what I like the most although there is less than 1mm clearance between the objective and the rail)

And here it is with the high ring mounts:

Last edited by SkyPup on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:59 am 

BTW, the rings and scope are excellent, as is the entire 556! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 am 

Wow... that sure seems like a big difference between medium and high rings... if i go with a scope - it will be the burris xtr 14 too... unless i get the aimpoint. I plan on varmint hunting a little... thinking of the larue lt104 mount

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am 

Yeah, this is way too high with the Burris High Rings, unless you absolutely must be able to use the BUIS......

I like it much better this way:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 am 

hmmm - i was thinking that larue mount then with the sampson or MI flip up in the front... i definitely feel the slight disadvantages of having a high scope mount. It's weird to aim above a target at close range because the bullet hasn't crossed the path yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm 

SkyPup wrote:

I AM THINKING OF GETTING BURRIS RED DOT. HOW DOES YOUR BURRIS WORK WITH FRONT SITE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm 

Skypup,
How often do you use the red dot? Would the scope alone be good enough? I'm still having difficulty deciding between the Aimpoint and a scope. I have 20" 308 i use for shooting distance - but may be a little much for some of the varmints i shoot :) However, with my sig i want enough magnification to get out to 300yds - but i know that would be stretching a 1x aimpoint compm4. Can you use your burris xtr 1-4 at 50yds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:33 am 

The 1-4 XTR works outstanding from close-up out to about 225 yards in my hands. I have shot 5" groups with it at 300 yards, but you really need more magnification for that range.

I don't think a 4X scope is a good bet for 300 yards on out, you'd need at least twice that magnification for that range on small varmits or precision targets.

The scope alone is excellent, the reticle is excellent as is the glass. I really like the scope and it is great for hunting and target practice out to 225 yards.The illuminated reticle is also fantastic for early morning or dusk shooting too. The 1X or 2x magnification is simply wonderful for anything out to 100 yards in a real quick manner.

I also really like the Fast Fire Red Dot too. It has a 4MOA dot, which is large, but works excellent for close-up instant reaction out to 50 yards, which is where I have it zeroed.

The reason I like the red dot is that my rifle has the MagPul CTR folding stock on it and when I get into thick underbrush and dense woods while hunting, I simply fold the stock and turn on the red dot for extremely accurate and fast shooting close up. It makes the SIG into a large powerful pistol.

This rifle-scope package is total confidence for me in everything I do out to 225 yards, no problem.

The Burris does not work with the iron sights on my rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am 

I ended up purchasing the Burris AR-332 which is 3x red-dot. Will let you know results when I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 am 

Thanks for the detail for the yardage. I think i'd only be shooting it a max of 300 yds... i think after that i couldn't really hit anything anyways... well, i guess the aimpoint would only be good for shooting large things from 25 to 150 yrds out i guess. I'm more of a varminter... so i guess a scope is the way i'm going to go. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 am 

hmmm... maybe i should go for something in a 3x-9x just to be able to see something smaller at 200 yrds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 am 

In my experience hunting, not target shooting, 4X is plenty good out to the maximum lethal range of the 5.56mm cartridge, which in my opinion, based on my experiences, is about 225 yards maximum (this is not ground hog varmit shooting, but larger terrestrial coyotes, hogs, turkerys, etc.).

I would recommend a higher magnification than 4X for any precision target shooting over 100 yards, specifically 9-10X for 200-300 yards and up to double that for longer range out to 600 yards.

I have difficulty in holding a rifle with any scope greater than 4X without a rest or bipod, so higher magnification does not interest me for what I do with my particular rifles.

The SIG's 16" carbine barrel is never going to become a precision long range target match barrel, so I really do not see how a scope of greater than 3-9X could be used effectively on this rifle.

I did recently purchase a new Redfield Revolution 3-9X-40mm scope on Burris XTR rings for my custom made Thompson Center Contender 20" carbine with 1:7" twist so I can shoot the heavier OTM Match bullets at longer ranges than the SIG 556s.

I will try out that scope on one of my 556s when I get a chance here soon....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]