It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
 Post subject: Converting a SIG556 Pistol to an SBR (after I get stamp)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 am 

I'm thinking of going through the paperwork of transforming my SIG556 Pistol to an SBR. What parts do I need to do this and where can I get those parts. Thanks again for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 am 

All you need is a buffer tube and the stock of your choosing, the plug in the rear of the p556 twists out and the stock screws in its place... pretty simple. Try www.brownells.com for tubes and stocks, they always treat me right. Take care to match the type of tube, mil spec or commercial, to the stock that you get.

Sig P220 .45 Carry
Sig P229 9MM SCT
Sig P232 .380 Two Tone
Sig 238 .380
Sig Mosquito w/AAC Element

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 am 

Thanks and I'll check out the site ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:07 pm 

By the way,

I originally chose a magpul CTR which is nice,

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2376 ... _BUTTSTOCK

but I just swapped lowers with my full sized 556 which has the magpul UBR

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2642 ... _BUTTSTOCK

and I am liking it much better.

Sig P220 .45 Carry
Sig P229 9MM SCT
Sig P232 .380 Two Tone
Sig 238 .380
Sig Mosquito w/AAC Element

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

If you want to go the "Classic" route you can call SIG Customer Service and send them your pistol lower and have them swap out the internals into a Classic lower, you might be able to even get them to put an OEM SAN 550 stock on it as they have the parts readily available and have done this before for other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:08 pm 

I bought my Magpul CTR, commercial tube and castle ring from Palmetto Armory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:30 pm 

What needs to be engraved on the rifle? Who does this and what does it usually cost? Who can smith a folding stock on it? What kind of money am I looking at? Im guessing I cant do the job myself. How do I get it fixed if I have problems since Sig doesnt work on non factory SBR's? Is it legal to take the stock off and ship it as a pistol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm 

If you make the pistol into a SBR, per BATF regulations, you must have your name, city and state engraved on the reciever.(or whatever you put into one of the lines on the ATF form for maker of the SBR, yes you are the maker for putting on a stock.) The letters must be a certain size and depth. I had mine engraved for $40. I used the lower from my SWAT model that had the Magpul slider/folder once I got my stamp back. I then put a GOVT Colt A2 stock on my SWAT with a commercial tube.

You can do the work yourself. It's easy. Biggest problem I had was getting the end cap (buttstock) with the Pistol off the reciever. I thad a bunch of locktite on the threads.

SIG P229 - 357 Sig
SIG P225 (P6)
+ A bunch more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm 

How do you ship a Class 3 weapon in and out of state to have work done? Who engraves them for 40.00? Does someone actually do the work if I send them the pistol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 pm 

How exactly do you change the parts? It would be nice if sig would just send you a lower. How much do they charge to swap lowers? Will a classic lower bolt right on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:06 pm 

alfred10 wrote:
What needs to be engraved on the rifle? Who does this and what does it usually cost? Who can smith a folding stock on it? What kind of money am I looking at? Im guessing I cant do the job myself. How do I get it fixed if I have problems since Sig doesnt work on non factory SBR's? Is it legal to take the stock off and ship it as a pistol?

I highly recommend Orion Arms; excellent service and reasonable prices! Cost for me was $50 for the engraving with $17 return shipping (it cost me $13 to ship). All work done to ATF regulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm 

bmuoio wrote:
alfred10 wrote:
How exactly do you change the parts? It would be nice if sig would just send you a lower. How much do they charge to swap lowers? Will a classic lower bolt right on?

I have a removal tool for stubborn caps.
bmuoio@gmail.com

When I converted my SIG P556 to SBR configuration, I just used a 14-inch pair of channel locks and un-screwed my receiver end-cap; it took me all of three-seconds to do! This is no big deal! To me – so easy to convert to a SIG P556 to SBR configuration – it’s scary! Just get your ATF Form 1, remove the receiver end cap and install the buttstock of your choice, and have the receiver engraved with your name, city, and state; you are good to go!

I wish everyone the best in their business – but – you really do not need a special tool! Just use a pair of channel locks (that you probably already have or can easily borrow from a family member or friend).

Post subject: nbj
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 am 

jnjb

Last edited by bmuoio on Mon May 03, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Engraving Specs: and other question.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:05 am 

I have not been able to located the specifications on the engraving size, font, depth? Engraved on upper receiver?
Next question: I understand the difference of the buffer tube size, commerical or military, but is the thread size the same? I guess my question is really, will either size of buffer tube screw into the reciver of a P556?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 am 

Threads are the same. Also, as of late Sig apparently is trying to dispose of their surplus red loctite. My cap was a bear to remove.... the entire threaded area was covered in red loctite on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 am 

bmuoio wrote:
alfred10 wrote:

img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/bmuoio/sigtool-1.jpg[/img]

bmuoio@gmail.com

Last edited by bmuoio on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Cheap Tool
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:43 am 

I used a master link chain #530 to remove my cap on the p556, it was not in too tights.

Post subject: Re: Cheap Tool
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 am 

oldguard60 wrote:
I used a master link chain #530 to remove my cap on the p556, it was not in too tights.

I wonder where you got the Idea. Very observant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 am 

kmm

Post subject: Sig Cap removal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 am 

I also have a 919 Honda and the master link fit very close so it was the first thing I thought of instead of buying a tool. Most of my life, military and cilivian work experiences have taught me there are many answers t o a single problem. The more a person is exposed to in lfe the better they solve issues.

Post subject: I am
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 pm 

going to do the same thing and wonder what ace stock kits fit best.

Post subject: Re: Converting a SIG556 Pistol to an SBR (after I get stamp)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 pm 

New model and is $45 wrapped $40 without Paracord wrapping.
www.Tacticaltextile.com

Post subject: Re: Engraving Specs: and other question.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:08 pm 

oldguard60 wrote:
I have not been able to located the specifications on the engraving size, font, depth? Engraved on upper receiver?

if building from an existing firearm you need
Name, City, State. can be engraved on frame receiver or barrel.

from the NFA handbook

section 6.2.1

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

section 1.4

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.

Post subject: Re: Converting a SIG556 Pistol to an SBR (after I get stamp)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:10 pm 

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

I've been meaning to dip back in to this thread for a while. Re-read everything and decided to at least attempt to pull the back cap off.

Got my biggest, meanest, gnarliest set of channel locks (36") and prepared to hunker down and pop some veins...

As I got ready to start I thought hmmm. Reached down with my right hand and spun it right off. NO thread locker at all...

The possibilities are now endless...

Mark

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 am 

DETECTIVE1108 wrote:
If you make the pistol into a SBR, per BATF regulations, you must have your name, city and state engraved on the reciever.(or whatever you put into one of the lines on the ATF form for maker of the SBR, yes you are the maker for putting on a stock.) The letters must be a certain size and depth. I had mine engraved for $40. I used the lower from my SWAT model that had the Magpul slider/folder once I got my stamp back. I then put a GOVT Colt A2 stock on my SWAT with a commercial tube.

You can do the work yourself. It's easy. Biggest problem I had was getting the end cap (buttstock) with the Pistol off the reciever. I thad a bunch of locktite on the threads.

you can also engrave the barrel

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]