It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 pm 

justmike wrote:
Well I got the tennis case, and I was pretty happy. I didn't like the bouncing around in the case though. So I went to the craft store and the
4 inch soft foam is $60 bucks a yard. Add that to the $40 for the case and this idea is about to sail out the window.

Don' t get me wrong, I like the idea of the tennis case, but without padding, the idea is a bust.

Mike

:lol: I wondered how long it would take before someone realized this. Tennis raquet bag=no padding, it's not designed for it, soft rifle case=some padding depending on which one you get, it's designed for it. For a $100 you can almost buy a pelican or definitely buy an uncle mike's soft case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:27 pm 

justmike wrote:
Well I got the tennis case, and I was pretty happy. I didn't like the bouncing around in the case though. So I went to the craft store and the
4 inch soft foam is $60 bucks a yard. Add that to the $40 for the case and this idea is about to sail out the window.

Don' t get me wrong, I like the idea of the tennis case, but without padding, the idea is a bust.

Mike

That is exactly why I was asking if anybody had tried this, and what you had. As I said, this could easily end up (for me) being like searching for that "perfect holster". Sure took a while ($) before I found the one that worked _for me_.
And I don't know a thing about tennis cases. All my browsing has been on line. I've seen some that show to have some padding/pockets, etc., but I'm afraid it's a crapshoot from this side of the keyboard; until I see it in person. I'm certain there is a perfect tennis/556 case out there. Maybe I'll sell some of the old holsters out of the holster drawer, to fund the quest....:wink:

Last edited by jefflaughhunn on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:08 pm 

The actual tennis racket case is actually pretty well laid out. The lack of padding is the only issue. If you really wanted to do it you could buy the padding and make it work. If stealth is important I would also put a real racket on the other side. It will work. I just have to find the right foam product. Frankly though I will go back to my supplied black rifle case until I decide to try this again.
If anyone else has an idea though I am all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:41 am 

If you already have a padded black rifle case that is small enough, you can actually insert it into the tennis racket case and you have the padding (without a big cost) and the stealth.

And I would guess that there are many places where you don't need a CWP to carry a firearm to and from your car in a case/ bag (no matter the color or shape or original intended use of said bag). So acting like you need some special permit to use a tennis/ baseball/ bowling or whatever bag to carry your firearm sounds odd. And wearing a bunch of camo to the mall is pretty redneck probably any place in the country. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:48 pm 

bremo76 wrote:
I am not mad, not even remotely close. It's not that serious. My question to you is are you a "gangster from the 1920's? Or are you a guy putting a gun in a tennis case in 2008? Try explainning it's a joke @ the PD and see how funny they think it is.

If the police were to question me about any of my firearms or the method in which I store and/or transport them I would disrespectfully decline to answer any and all questions and tell him to mind his business and I will mind my own. That is my right.

Urban camouflage, including carrying something like a P556 or a folding 556 in a nondescript "case" like a racket carrier or a laptop bag (my choice of carry), certainly has it's place in today's society. For one, it doesn't scream "I have a rifle". For two, a racket case isn't a high-value target for theft like a rifle case is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm 

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
bremo76 wrote:
I am not mad, not even remotely close. It's not that serious. My question to you is are you a "gangster from the 1920's? Or are you a guy putting a gun in a tennis case in 2008? Try explainning it's a joke @ the PD and see how funny they think it is.

If the police were to question me about any of my firearms or the method in which I store and/or transport them I would disrespectfully decline to answer any and all questions and tell him to mind his business and I will mind my own. That is my right.

Urban camouflage, including carrying something like a P556 or a folding 556 in a nondescript "case" like a racket carrier or a laptop bag (my choice of carry), certainly has it's place in today's society. For one, it doesn't scream "I have a rifle". For two, a racket case isn't a high-value target for theft like a rifle case is.

First of all in "today's society" it is. Did you forget 9-11-01. Everyone is under the microscope. Plus, in certain states you ahve to carry things a certian way. So you might want to know the rules before you just do what you want and excersie "your right". Your right is to own firearms and that is it.

If you are that worred about being a target of theft in the area taht you are in you need to carry your rifle in a "computer bag"(BECAUSE A COMPUTER BAG DOESN'T SCREAM HIGH VALUE EITHER RIGHT?????) then maybe you need to re-think the areas you frequent. If it a bad area and you don't want to get "your rifle" taken from you. Then news flash don't go down there.

This gets funnier and funnier by the moment :lol: :lol: I need to carry my coimputer in a purse, my rifle in a computer bag, and my tennis raquet in a brief case :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:16 pm 

The only thing I find funny is your shrill point of view. Just my opinion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 pm 

Bremo,
What is the point of a rifle with a folding stock, anyway?
Or having one of those doesn't appeal to your sensibilities either?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:45 am 

Archer wrote:
The only thing I find funny is your shrill point of view. Just my opinion ;)

Did you say "opinion"??? WOW, now you get it. IT'S MY OPINION. Which I AM FREE TO HAVE. Just like you ahve yours and are entitled to it. AND GUESS WHAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO AGREE.

Please keep this up it gets funnier and funnier :lol: :lol: :lol:

jefflaughhunn wrote:
Bremo,

Why not? I have two 556's with folding stocks. That I DO NOT carry around in some crazy "tennis raquet case" or "computer bag" looking like a jacka$$. I never said anything about a folding stock. What does that have to do with this topic??? So why bring it up?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:29 am 

Here is how I'm going to start carrying mine...

and I'm going to buy a folding stock set-up just because of this thread!

Of course, a violin case (like the one they sell HERE) would work good...

or, I could use an old fashion violin case...

and, I could even get a matching viola case for my booze 'cause I love to drink when I carry!!!

I like it... it's so old school it would be fresh again! Great thread!! :wink:

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:24 pm 

I am glad this thread is getting civil again. I went to walmart got the Wilson case and foam and it all fits nice. I think it is a hoot ! My 556 pistol fits great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:34 pm 

jefflaughhunn wrote:
Bremo,

Why not? I have two 556's with folding stocks. That I DO NOT carry around in some crazy "tennis raquet case" or "computer bag" looking like a jacka$$. I never said anything about a folding stock. What does that have to do with this topic??? So why bring it up?? :)[/quote]

Are you serious? The only rifle I own that would fit in a tennis case, *is the Sig with the folding stock*. Get it yet?
And your "why not?" didn't answer my question of the purpose of a folding stock. Somehow, I didn't expect a real answer.
But I give up, I'm checking out of this thread.
But yes, I will be getting a tennis case for my Commando.
And "why not?" is probably as good a reason as I need, at this juncture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm 

jefflaughhunn wrote:
jefflaughhunn wrote:
Bremo,

Why not? I have two 556's with folding stocks. That I DO NOT carry around in some crazy "tennis raquet case" or "computer bag" looking like a jacka$$. I never said anything about a folding stock. What does that have to do with this topic??? So why bring it up?? :)

Are you serious? The only rifle I own that would fit in a tennis case, *is the Sig with the folding stock*. Get it yet?
And your "why not?" didn't answer my question of the purpose of a folding stock. Somehow, I didn't expect a real answer.
But I give up, I'm checking out of this thread.
But yes, I will be getting a tennis case for my Commando.
And "why not?" is probably as good a reason as I need, at this juncture.[/quote]

Well if there was a real question in your rambling then I guess I missed it. Good luck with you tennis raquet gun case, and computer bag gym bag, and foot locker brief case :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:20 pm 

Rambling?
It was two questions.
Both sentences were less than 13 words each.
That was the entire post.
BUT, if YOU consider that rambling, I am wondering about your attention span. (':shock:')
And thank you for wishing me well with all those bags.
That I never mentioned.
But in the spirit of the season, I'll probably drag my gear to the range tomorrow, in my Santa's Toy Bag.
I'll bet everyone will think I'm cool. And that's how I roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:54 pm 

jefflaughhunn wrote:
Rambling?

I'll bet everyone will think I'm cool. And that's how I roll.

"Cool" WOW are we 10 years old again. COOL, are you freakin' kidding me. THAT IS HILARIOUS. Here's your sign..........cool that is priceless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:32 pm 

Besides the attention span problem, I see a humor-impairment, as well.

I promise though, this is really my last post to this thread that I started.
For some reason, I feel as welcome as if I posted a thread to the Brady Campaign Forum, asking what should be my 12th firearm purchase to round out my collection....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:30 pm 

Jeff, don't sweat it. All of the 'cool' kids know what's up. Tennis racket cases rawk (see how cool I am? I spelled it RAWK)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:45 pm 

jefflaughhunn wrote:
Besides the attention span problem, I see a humor-impairment, as well.

I promise though, this is really my last post to this thread that I started.
For some reason, I feel as welcome as if I posted a thread to the Brady Campaign Forum, asking what should be my 12th firearm purchase to round out my collection....

Oh, so now, since I don't agree or have my own opioion I don't have any humor either. PRICELESS. :? Maybe I'll just quote Forrest Gump here" stupid is as stupid does".............

Accomplice wrote:
Jeff, don't sweat it. All of the 'cool' kids know what's up. Tennis racket cases rawk (see how cool I am? I spelled it RAWK)!

Maybe it's KOOL. For all the KOOL AID you guys keep drinking. It worked real good for Jim Jones and his magic kool aid. Course it could be eggnog this time of year who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:13 pm 

The kool aid helps me play awesome tennis. Wait, I don't even play tennis so why do I have this racket case? Oh right, cause I'm one of the cool kids who knows what's up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 pm 

OK, folks. Let's stop feeding the troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Guys, are we really getting this heated over someone's method of carrying their own personal weapon?

Is this just friendly banter? It sure doesn't read that way. If it is, then ease up a bit. It if isn't, then please just stow it and move on to another topic.

Me thinks this one is just about done..........

Sig P232
Sig Mosquito RTT
Colt Gold Cup Trophy - Stainless
Springfield Arms Micro Compact 3" .45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:53 pm 

Ok, not to raise the dead (threads), but while surfing the interweb today I came across the "Discreet Rifle Bag" that Calvary Arms sells on their site for $160...

This got me thinking about some old camera equipment I used to have. In particular, the carry bag for my tripod. A quick search found this site and the numerous options they had that are not all that expensive. $10-$100. They have them in all sizes from 14.5" (for your 556 pistols) to 52". I imagine a search on ebay would net you all sorts of 35mm and tripod bags. A good tripod bag along with a camera bag (for extra magazines) wouldn't draw any attention anywhere. And, would make more sense than a larger guy (ahem... kinda like myself :wink: ) carrying a tennis racket bag! Heck, you could even get a pawn shop/garage sale camera to help "sell" it!

Image 35"x5.5" Padded $46.95

Image 27.7"x7.8" $9.95

Image 36" x 7.0" $14.95

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:40 am 

What a Pro Kennex case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm 

There's a time and a place for everything.

When I know the only place I'll be and the only folks I'll run into are "like-minded," then the Voodoo tactical bag works fine.

When I'm traveling and stepping into a hotel, then it's whatever won't stand out.

Here's a funny case of reverse mistaken identity. I once owned a hard-sided rectangular air-line case for golf clubs that doubled as the golf bag while on the course. I bought it from Hammacher Schlemmer. The first time I took it through the airport it took me a long while before I figured out why I was getting so many dirty looks! :oops:

Little did they know I was carrying drivers and irons.

Post subject: Mine is a bat bag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:00 pm 

The Pres. said to get ready for the next national disaster (I weathered Ike 10 miles from the coast two days after neck surgery - could not evacuate) so I bought a Sig 556. I carry mine in an Underarmor bat bag......added some foam padding to the interior with a central hole in the bottom blick for the barrel. Works great. The link address below is to the bag.

http://www.ebags.com/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=141939&productid=1366724&sourceID=LIKE000001&PID=2119485&SID=4bb7f1e2060d4354

It is important to think about how you are viewed by the public. We want to be respectfull and concerned about how we the armed citizen is percieved. I for one want total concealment so the zombie is deadly surprised when I defend myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 pm 

I used to carry my AR in a tennis racket case in college so I could get it into my car without being berated by the local hippies. Worked pretty well, but was pretty obvious it wasn't a racket. Most people are blind to the obvious though. :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2