What optics do you have on your 556?

Discussion in 'Optics, Mounts, and Sights' started by mgentry, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mbat

mbat Member

Well I shelled out some cash and picked up the Zeiss Z point. I am glad I did. I've owned cheap Bushnell, EOTech 512, Trijicon MRO, and now Zeiss. The Z is by far the clearest red dot I've ever looked through. Easy on and off without tools and still easy to work the charging handle. Using 55gr wolf steel, I held solid 2" groups between two shooters. The Z center line of optic window Co witness nice with the Sig diopter and stock front sight. If you are running AR height sights, you will need a small riser.

2. motas2002

motas2002 New Member

I used to fool myself by buying cheap optics, but not any more. After getting my hands on a higher end scope, the difference was huge. I like the Zeiss scope I have on my squirrel gun, they make good stuff. For what it is worth, I run an ACOG on my 556 patrol.

556Raven likes this.
  3. hooch33

hooch33 Member

comp M2 in a low mount

4. Iamscotticus

Iamscotticus Well-Known Member

I just did some drills with an Armson OEG.
    Did OK, short range, but did much better with the Leupy FXII on same drill. Plus no wandering dot issues.

A dot Im interested in is the Truglo 2X42 2.5 MOA. If Im gonna go with a China made dot, I think they're higher on the quality ladder. model numbers are TG8030MB2, TG8030B2. Low mount so its 55X ready.

5. 556Raven

556Raven Member

I have 2 sets, both on QR mounts:
    - Aimpoint CompM3 on standard GI height mount;
    - Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS on Burris QR with added micro-reflex on top.
    Here is my "gallery" for the reference: Album: 556xi

Envy you with high-end optics; salivating on my way to Kwik-Mart for a lottery ticket in a meantime.

6. Iamscotticus

Iamscotticus Well-Known Member

I'm liking the magnified optics, even fixed low powered, for the old eyes I has.
    Theres just no way I can make a 100 yard shot with a 1x if I had to.
    I would prefer a fixed 3X, but for what it is, the Leupy FXII 2.5X is light and compact and durable. Not Trijicon durable, as far as I know.
    But at $260 youre not paying for that . But you are definitely getting $260 worth. This scope is made as well as it can be for the price point.
    There are cheap Chineese LER shotgun scopes for $60. But I need better.
    I have perfect height with low rings but no room for BUIS.

556Raven likes this.
  7. Megalomegalodon

Megalomegalodon New Member

I have a 556 with the diopter and want to be able to use them if my red dot goes down without having to remove it. What are my options for witness and co-witness red dots that will work with the diopter and front sight.

8. RCA_Cajun

RCA_Cajun Member

Larue makes some different height mounts for aimpoint micro sights. I have the lowest mount on a aimpoint t2 with CZ scorpion Evo sights, and they work great. See images in this album.
    SIG556xi