Upper and Lower fit

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by speedpower, Oct 18, 2010.

1. speedpower

speedpower New Member

Is it normal for the 556 to have a certain amount of play between the upper and lower?

2. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Member

I have 5 - 556s (pistols, rifles, DMR) and every one "rattles". It doesn't seem to be a problem because the play is between the lower/upper, whereas the barrel and upper are one unit and are quite solid. From what I've read is pretty common. An earlier thread here discussed sending a rifle back to Sig, where they tightened it up somehow. Not clear exactly how, but it's an option if you think it's really a problem.

3. Reno

Reno Member

5 huh? Do they ever get jealous of each other. :wink:

As for the play, yes, as mentioned, it's normal to have a little play, though some have none. AR's are the same.

As for SIG in that thread, for some reason I don't think they did anything to tighten up that rifle, I remember the thread but don't remember how it was titled. I think SIG just swapped out his lower for a tighter fitting one and sent it back.

4. SGT_geardo

SGT_geardo Member

Solve the rattle...
    [​IMG]

Small peice of duct/gorilla tape right there. It completely gets rid of the rattle. You will have to replace it. I have had to replace mine twice this year, just depends on how often you disassemble your rifle. It's gonna be a tight sqeeze at first, but give it a couple of palm whacks and it will fit. :lol:

good luck,
    Geardo

5. speedpower

speedpower New Member

Thanks for the input, if it is normal to have a little bit of play then that's fine to me, it's just that I'm use to pistols that have tight fittings and bolt action rifles/shotguns that doesn't have upper and lower like the Black rifles.

6. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Member

Geardo,

I've thought about something similar, except with the idea of "re-useable" in mind. My idea was to try a very thin plastic washer with a hole large enough not to be a pain in the ass for centering to get the front takedown pin back in. I've seen a number of very small washers (~1/8" i.d. or so) of the type I'm thinking about...the plastic is very thin and pliable, not stiff. Haven't gotten around to actually looking for a larger one yet. From your experience with the tape, do you think this approach would work...or waste of time?

BTW: Nah...they don't get jealous Reno, my two P239s keep the 556s in line (LOL)

7. speedpower

speedpower New Member

By the way, I did not mention on my original post that I was using the Quick take down pin from KNS, which I noticed that it has more slop than with the original pin so I measured the KNS O.D. and it measured 7.82mm while the original take down pin is 7.88mm, that means 0.06mm difference does contributes to even more slop between the upper and lower, but if it does affect performance then I'll leave it alone but I;ll try a very thin piece of lexan to shim the hinge area which might work.

8. SGT_geardo

SGT_geardo Member

There is, or was a tread covering a "o-ring" for around the front take down pin. Proper mesurements and stuff. Can't seem to find it.

I have the KNS take down pin and the tape works just fine.

There is no problem with a little rattle between the upper and lower. I just dont like it.

9. bluefin556

bluefin556 New Member

Mine had a little play but I tightened it up. There is a screw on the hinge where the rifle "breaks" in half. Tighten it up.

10. WayaX

WayaX New Member

Play between the upper and lower is normal and is to be expected. If you're anal about it (and there is no reason to be), you can reduce it with aftermarket junk, an O-ring, or tape. If you're really anal, you can simply weld the upper and lower receiver together. This would solve the problem all together.

11. Doug P228

Doug P228 New Member

I have always heard that is to be expected. I only have one and it does not.

12. racenet

racenet New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. joezeta

joezeta New Member

ive got a decent amount of play in mine as well......i have the kns pin too.....

Where/how would you apply the o-ring ? anyone make some type of Accu wedge like the AR's ?