Think this bump fire stock will work on a 556?

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by Buck Rogers, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers New Member

I have a 556ER, the one with the AR stock and buffer tube, and this looks like a fun toy.

http://militarygunsupply.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1082

I know people have modified magpul MIAD grips designed for AR's to fit on the sig, but this probably has metal where that grip had plastic. Hmmmm.
  2. daniel

daniel New Member

why something odd? the 556-6 is coming with a S/1/3/20 switch. :D
    regards, daniel
  3. FlatCheese

FlatCheese New Member

Have a friend of mine who bought one. Took him a very short amount of time before he could control the mechanism to fire the controlled bursts you see on the video. He loves it but you can really chew through some ammo! It also goes without saying the barrel get's very hot!!
    Told me he was out in his "back forty" a couple weeks ago and his neighbors were doing some shooting of their own all around him. He loaded up a 60 shot drum magazine and proceeded to fire off the entire mag in a matter of a few minutes. After that, he said the entire area went quiet. :)
  4. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers New Member

Feel like doing me a huge favor taking a look with your 556 side by side next to his AR and see if you think the stock will fit a 556? If you have a 556 with an AR buffer tube, you could do me a HUGE favor and try putting the stock on your rifle and let me know how it fits.

Thanks.
  5. pappy42

pappy42 New Member

Yessir; that would be a large help!
  6. FlatCheese

FlatCheese New Member

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'll see this guy tomorrow and will set up a time I can meet him at his farm. As soon as I do, I'll report back. Based on what he's told me, as long as the existing stock you have now is adjustable with the mil-spec buffer tube, the SSAR-15 stock should work.
    I'll see what I can find out and will get back with you.
  7. pappy42

pappy42 New Member

Bump. No pun intended.
  8. InfamousJ

InfamousJ New Member

No it will not :evil: according to the slidefire website...but I wonder if one was to take an ACE adapter and try that out?
  9. mishaco

mishaco New Member

I installed one of these Slide Fire stocks on a friend's DPMS banger carbine. It will not fit on a 556 ER because the 556's pistol grip is further forward than it is on a standard AR lower. In addition, i believe the 556's lower receiver is thicker in the rear and the Slidefire overlaps the receiver...i do not think it will clear everything properly, sorry.

Now, please allow me a little rant...sorry again...

You say something about metal on the slidefire and i had to laugh. This thing is made totally of plastic except for one pin in the stock that engages the buffer tube. I am blind and even to me this thing is ass-ugly. Its molded plastic with visible lines and just awful styling. Its bulky without having much mass which is crazy from a design point of view. I have held ATI and Tapco plastic stocks that felt better to me.

Still, a lot of people like bump firing and i could see getting this stock for $50-$100....but $350? The price is the true definition of 'out of line.' It could not cost them more than $25 to produce each stock and i am being generous and allow for the cost of the molds.

You are paying the price of a decent used pistol to make your AR look fugly and for what? To give yourself a sore trigger finger, to put undue wear on your carbine, and to chew through ammo even faster at a time when .223 isn't as cheap as it once was. Select fire M16s are a blast, but the slidefire to me is a pale immitation and one that will quickly loose its novelty and wind up back off the gun and on some top shelf collecting dust. A lot of cool upgrades you can do for your 556 with $350 in my opinion, but thats all this is---my opinion.

What really matters is you are happy with your decision.

Hey, i warned you a rant was coming!
  10. moses

moses New Member

I fired a friends slide fire and it was just as controllable as an M16 IMHO!!!!
    I work with a guy who has a many full auto dealer samples and I have shot them a lot!
    The slide fire is very comparable and a load of fun!!!!!!!!

It's all abuot the fun!!!! Who cares what the slide fire looks like it works great!!!!
  11. mishaco

mishaco New Member

I care how it looks....

i know thats highly ironic coming from me, but i spent a good bit of cash making mine look like an original 551A1 and find it fun to shoot as is.
  12. sprat

sprat Member

if your stock is the M-4 carbine style I know how to modify one to function like the slide fire and cheaper too, but it uses a spring ( this is what killed the aktins) and is not legal by BATF regs because of the spring
    I would post a diagram on how it is done, but i don't wanted to get banned from this site I am new here

you could always go the rubber band route, to find that you need to hit You Tube

once you have perfected the rubber band trick you will never want to buy a slidefire

sprat
  13. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers New Member

Thanks for looking into this, but despite starting this thread I've decided that unless I win the lottery the only full auto or bump fire device I'm interested in would be in .22LR, registered machineguns even in that caliber are too pricy and I don't think any legal bump fire devices would run off of a 22's recoil, so I don't think a bullet hose is anywhere in my future.