Semi Auto 552 short barrel build

Discussion in 'The Machine Shop' started by jeffmm1, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jeffmm1

jeffmm1 New Member

Hello!

I recently stumbled upon the Sig 55x series while shopping for HK parts and ended up getting hooked!

I ended up purchasing a NIB 2013 551 A1 rifle and a used P556 classic pistol without the extended pic rail.

Now I am contemplating on building a 552 short barrel commando (semi auto). I have noticed a few online retailers such as Gatewood Supply and COGunsales that currently carry some used/new 552 parts.

My question is, am on on the correct path with purchasing these parts Ala carte? And what will i need to purchase for an upper? Also is there another supplier of parts that I am missing?

Appreciate your response and have a great weekend.

Jeff

2. mjc1677

mjc1677 Member

You will love the 556 rifle. I built a 553 clone out of a 556 Swat Patrol. Remember that the upper is considered the rifle. Also not all 552/553 parts will fit the 556 pistol. The 556 pistol has a longer gas system which means you can't use factory 552 handguards. Also you can't use a 552 barrel as it is shorter and uses a different thread pitch on the end that goes into the trunion.
    While Gatewood supply has many parts, you should have very good luck finding things on the sale forum here. I bought and sold all the parts I needed for my build here. You should look at gunfactory.ch in Switzerland also. The website is a little tricky but once you are there for a little bit it is not that confusing.

Hope this helped
    Mike

jeffmm1 likes this.
  3. jeffmm1

jeffmm1 New Member

It does; thanks Mike! Yeah that Swiss website takes a bit of getting used to and some translation help. I landed on a page where it appears they sell the entire upper for around $4K?? Or was it just for the barrel?

4. mjc1677

mjc1677 Member

Sorry I haven't checked back to this sight in a while. I am not sure what the 4k is for. Sounds like the price for a 553 pistol as that is what they were going for at one time.

5. HermCorps

HermCorps New Member

Congrats on your your start to an AWESOME rifle... Gatewood def has some parts available & they always have real deal stuff. I have had the best luck finding parts on gunbroker when i was building my 551 clone. Although, I too am fairly new to this forum & after reading a couple posts up I will be checking here for any parts in the future. Gunbroker was always quicker, but I have also dealt with gunfactory & although the wait on shipping is long as hell (to be expected) the service & selection of real parts was phenomenal. If u get too frustrated on the web site give em a call. They speak English & will walk u through everything. Semper Fidelis & good luck with your build!

6. jeffmm1

jeffmm1 New Member

I think i will. Thanks for the tip!

7. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Active Member

Outstanding, it will work.