Poll: Xi Carbine or Xi Pistol?

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by gonnasellstuff, May 9, 2016.

?

Sig 556 xi carbine or xi pistol for home defense?

1. Xi carbine

80.0%
  2. Xi pistol

20.0%
  1. gonnasellstuff

gonnasellstuff Member

Poll: Xi Carbine or Xi Pistol?

2. texas gun smith

texas gun smith Active Member

With the carbine you could fold the stock for cqb or vehicles, snap it open when you want it, imo. With a pistol you are committed to short length. An arm brace can give options for a pistol, but a rifle cal is not as easily controlled as a pistol cal like 45acp, 9mm, and such, when holding like pistol.
    One thing I have been working on for cqb/ home defense, tight space stuff is carrying stock of rifle pinched in arm pit. You won't get down on sights or optics this way, but at real close ranges you probably don't need to, just swinging in toward target will be kind of hard to miss. Plus you shorten the overall length out in front of you, while gaining control. In this way you can keep muzzle up, and pointing in hostile/unknown area, while freeing non firing hand to open doors and such. Adds maneuverability and stability, while keeping the power of rifle caliber, imo .
    Then practice going from under arm, back to normal firing position, and back again. It'll start getting second nature.

John Porr and gonnasellstuff like this.
  3. mebigsigfan

mebigsigfan New Member

I don't like the arm brace thing if it had a folding stock on the 10 inch barrel that would be cool.

4. gonnasellstuff

gonnasellstuff Member

If you could shoulder fire that sig brace itd be awesome huh?

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Active Member

Don't shoulder the brace, that makes it an SBR, fyi.

6. mebigsigfan

mebigsigfan New Member

You mean don't get caught shoulder bracing. LOL

gonnasellstuff likes this.
  7. Iamscotticus

Iamscotticus Well-Known Member

the only reason for a pistol is to SBR

8. Iamscotticus

I'd like to TOMA on this. I read the ATF decision on pistol ARs and SBRs. This is my interpretation, although I am not a FA professional I could be wrong...
    The ATF ruling doesn't fault the shooter for the fact the buffer tube is a permanent and necessary part for the AR15 to function and/or if the tube touches the shoulder regardless of what accessories you put on the tube. Due to the nature of the design, any removable tube accessory does not consist of a permanent alteration.
    Because the decision was in response to an inquiry about AR15 pistols specifically, I do not believe the same exception extends to any pistol that a buffer tube can be attached to. If you are caught shouldering an AR15 pistol, it may be difficult to charge you with an illegal SBR (sans stamp), but I believe adding a buffer tube and stock piece to any non-AR15 pistol is bordering on making an illegal SBR (sans stamp) because a pistol has gotten a permanent modification for the purpose of shoulder firing.
    Therefore, yes, the Captian is correct. Shouldering a Sig556 pistol with a Sigbrace is SBRing.
    I don't understand why the addition of the Sigbrace alone to a 556 isn't considered an SBR?

Having said all that, other than those used in crimes, I have no knowledge of anyone getting in any trouble for having an illegal SBR.
    But then I live in Texas. I've seen bullets and bubblegum sold on the same counter.
    If you are someone who has had dealings with the ATF on this issue, and I'm all wrong, please chime in.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. gonnasellstuff

gonnasellstuff Member

Sig sells the xi pistol with buffer tube and brace and letter from atf stating they are legal.​

10. Iamscotticus

I believe they can get away with that (barely) because the intent is to stabilize the arm in an extended position.
    So is there the ability to shoulder on occasion? Obviously.
    My point is don't think you wont get in trouble doing it like you can with an AR15 pistol.

11. Carolina1

Carolina1 Member

Its meant to wrap around the forearm to give support. Has nothing to do with needing a buffer spring/buffer to operate gun. It has to be attached to the gun with a tube inorder to wrap brace around the arm. Sig was the original brace. Made for guns with no buffer spring and buffer.

12. Trailboss

Trailboss Member

Is it bad to barely get away with something? Are the California bullet buttons bad because they were barely legal?

Just thinking out loud...

Carolina1 likes this.
  13. Iamscotticus

I love thinking out loud. CA is a different FUBAR animal.