New 556R, Sig is listening

Discussion in '556R Discussion' started by fao, Jun 21, 2011.

1. fao

fao New Member

I decided to buy a new 556R because, while looking at it in the store, I noticed that it had the steel insert in the mag. well. Well, if Sig fixed the mag. well problem, maybe they fixed the light primer strike. After getting the rifle home, I took it appart, cleaned and oiled it, and worked the action 300 times. The one problem that I noticed was that the bolt wouldn't always close, probably needs more break-in.

Took it to the range the next day and ran 200 rounds of Wolf through it. The Wolf fired every time, looks like Sig fixed the light primer strike problem. However, I had to help the bolt close around 33% of the time. I called Sig CS to ask if this was normal and if it would eventually run without the bolt hang up. Well CS sucks! They tried to blame the problem on everything else, beside the rifle. I hung up on the guy.

I was ready to take the 556R back to the store when I remembered that someone on a forum said they always polish the bolt, bolt carrier and hammer before shooting the 556R, so
    I did that and took the rifle out the next day for more testing. Well, the polishing worked, I had no ftf, fte, or fti. This was with wolf, silver bear, pmc and hornady. About 200 rounds total. Later while cleaning the rifle, I noticed that the hammer spring was much heavier than the one on my 556 classic. Seems like Sig is fixing the 556R prblems.

2. bigdtd

bigdtd New Member

Glad to hear the 556R is working well. I want one!

3. Accomplice

Accomplice New Member

That is huge news and Sig needs to get on the forums to let folks know that they've fixed these issues. Can you give us a ballpark on the serial number to your rifle so folks can start to establish a range of production numbers with the fixes implemented? Also, can you post pics of the steel insert?

Thanks!

4. fao

fao New Member

The serial number is 28A0025xx made May 26, 2011. I don't have access to a digital camera, we're still on evacuation from the Los Alamos file. It looks similar to one I saw on this forum where Sig fixed crowepa22's 556R in the "Back to Sig" topic in the 556 Discussions.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get back soon so that I can put more rounds through the 556R.

5. fao

fao New Member

The serial number is 28A0025xx made May 26, 2011. I don't have access to a digital camera, we're still on evacuation from the Los Alamos file. It looks similar to one I saw on this forum where Sig fixed crowepa22's 556R in the "Back to Sig" topic in the 556 Discussions.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get back soon so that I can put more rounds through the 556R.

6. Tim McBride

Tim McBride Member

Ok did some measuring and picture taking, sorry these are cell phone camera pics;
    [​IMG]
    Old Ejection Port Window; 2.539, new gun 2.713

New magshelf on the right, old on the left
    [​IMG]
    Hi Res,
    New

Old

7. fao

fao New Member

Yes, that's how my 556R looks. The mag. shelf has a thin peice of steel at the foward edge of the mag. shelf. It's small, but it does take the pressure off of the aluminum. I've used steel magazines and there is no wear on the steel part. I did order 4 Bulgarian Poly mags. that should function really well in my 556R, however I haven't had a chance to get to the range, it is still closed because of the fire.

Tim, does the bolt on your new 556R seem to bind? I think the new, more powerfull hammer spring holds up the bolt during the foward movment. After I polished the bolt, bolt carrier and the hammer, I haven't had any ftf. But, I need to fire a few hundred rounds to smooth the bolt out even more. Hope the range opens soon.

8. cr556

cr556 New Member

Hey Tim who made the scope (red dot) that you have on your 556R? :?

9. Tim McBride

Tim McBride Member

The optic is a Leupold Prismatic; etched reticle that is illuminated is chosen

10. fao

fao New Member

Well, the big forest fire here is almost fully contained, this means that our range is open again! :D I took my 556R out to sight in a Redfield 3x9x40 scope that I swapped from my 556. I got a Vortex Diamond 3x9x40 BCD scope for the 556.
    After sighting th 556R with Silver Bear FMJ, I fired 5 shot groups with Winchester USA FMJ, PMC FMJ, and Hornaday SST. Interestingly, my best 5 shot group was with the Silver Bear with a 1.1 in extreme spread. None of the others got less than 2.5 in. I think this is mostly because I'm not used to the heavy second stage of the 556R. :oops:

After that, I ran 140 rounds of Silver Bear and Wolf black box laquered without any problems at all. I was able to ring the 200 and 300 yard gongs most of the time with these. I tried some rapid fire to see if I could make the 556R choke, bit it worked wll every time. As for the Wolf, it's not nearly as accurate as the Silver Bear, but I still have 1000 rounds of this that I bought for my old SKS and Saiga, back when it was cheap. The 556R is twice as accurate as the Saiga and a little better than the SKS. What I really like about the 556R is the ability to easily mount optics. All in all, great fun! 8)

Oh, I'm using Bulgarian Poly mags., the ones with the bullet design on the side. They work really well.