Magpul AFG vs. Magwell grip on Sig 556

Discussion in 'Slings, Lights, & Other Accessories' started by dominus, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dominus

dominus New Member

I have a 556classic. I hate traditional vertical foregrips. I like the feel of magwell grips, but I'm curious about the AVG. My question for anyone who knows is, how far back (close to the magwell) can you mount the AVG? Can you get it right up to it? Or is it a distance away? How far away?

2. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Member

3. dominus

dominus New Member

Thanks for the reply anyway. Is that as far back as you can put it? Or is that just your "sweet spot"?

4. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Member

It was as close to the magwell as I could get it and it was the right spot as well.

5. Draxanoth

Draxanoth New Member

Do you mean AFG? I don't think I know what an AVG is, unless you're talking antivirus software.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure you can hold an AFG properly that far back though, seems like it would put my wrist at a weird angle that would be very uncomfortable. It's not horrific on my 522, but on a 556 I think the weight would show you exactly how much strain it puts on your wrist.

I think a real magwell grip would probably work if you modded one a bit, but you'll probably want some weight in the back to move the rifles center of balance away from the gas tube. A UBR works awesome for that.

6. nih

nih New Member

looks good, i guess experts that make carbine course videos say the farther out your hand is the quicker you can transition accurately. whatever.

i went with both, standing i like it on the magwell, more stable.

there are 2 other magwell type grips out, one smaller that goes around the base, other hooks on rail and kind of swoops down in front of magwell but not really attached to it. i like magwell in pic, it actually does guide the mag in abit more easliy.

have to dremel it to make it fit.

[​IMG]