Is this a good first pistol?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by Larry Laffer, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Larry Laffer

Larry Laffer New Member

Hi all,

As the titles says, I’m planning on buying my first pistol. After much research, I decided on the Sig P226. It seems to have some of the best characteristics of most pistol designs, all combined into one. Not to mention being well made, and reliable.

I had a chance to try out various other types of pistol at a range, such as a glock, 1911, and an older colt revolver. At the end of it, I found I shot the Sig best, and much preferred it’s grip to the others.

So having decided on the model of pistol, I’ve started looking around online for good deals.

An interesting discovery was finding out Sig’s used to be made in West Germany, which is where I and my family emigrated from before the wall fell. Further reading seems to indicate they might be of higher quality as well...? Either way, I would very much prefer one from such a period.

Narrowing it down to Sig’s made in West Germany, I’ve found this pistol on Gunbroker, which appears to be a decent enough price.

West German Sig Sauer P226 9mm w/ Night Sights : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

It seems like it would be a good starter kit to get going, since it has so many magazines and a holster already. But I’d like a second opinion on it before I ‘pull the trigger’ so to speak...And I figured since this is a sig centered forum, you guys would be more knowledgable on this stuff than I am.

Any input you can offer would be much appreciated :)

2. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Active Member

3. Larry Laffer

Larry Laffer New Member

4. pat7011

pat7011 New Member

Yes it is a great first pistol, you will never look back. It is a world class combat pistol. Being a combat pistol, the point of aim is the point of impact, not a 6 O'clock hold on target. You will have to google it up on point of aim with Sigs. Grease the rails on it. If it rolls oil it, if it slides grease it. The trigger will get smoother with use. Google up staging a trigger, you stage the DA trigger for much better accuracy. Bottom line, you made a great choice.;)

5. tarheelgnr2

tarheelgnr2 New Member

BUY IT. I have a P228 love it