Converting a SIG556 Pistol to an SBR (after I get stamp)

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by nyquil, Jan 19, 2010.

1. nyquil

nyquil New Member

I'm thinking of going through the paperwork of transforming my SIG556 Pistol to an SBR. What parts do I need to do this and where can I get those parts. Thanks again for your time.

2. ilintner

ilintner New Member

All you need is a buffer tube and the stock of your choosing, the plug in the rear of the p556 twists out and the stock screws in its place... pretty simple. Try www.brownells.com for tubes and stocks, they always treat me right. Take care to match the type of tube, mil spec or commercial, to the stock that you get.

3. nyquil

nyquil New Member

Thanks

Thanks and I'll check out the site ASAP.

4. ilintner

ilintner New Member

5. datcha

datcha Administrator

If you want to go the "Classic" route you can call SIG Customer Service and send them your pistol lower and have them swap out the internals into a Classic lower, you might be able to even get them to put an OEM SAN 550 stock on it as they have the parts readily available and have done this before for other people.

6. razcob

razcob New Member

I bought my Magpul CTR, commercial tube and castle ring from Palmetto Armory.

7. alfred10

alfred10 New Member

What needs to be engraved on the rifle? Who does this and what does it usually cost? Who can smith a folding stock on it? What kind of money am I looking at? Im guessing I cant do the job myself. How do I get it fixed if I have problems since Sig doesnt work on non factory SBR's? Is it legal to take the stock off and ship it as a pistol?

8. DETECTIVE1108

DETECTIVE1108 New Member

If you make the pistol into a SBR, per BATF regulations, you must have your name, city and state engraved on the reciever.(or whatever you put into one of the lines on the ATF form for maker of the SBR, yes you are the maker for putting on a stock.) The letters must be a certain size and depth. I had mine engraved for $40. I used the lower from my SWAT model that had the Magpul slider/folder once I got my stamp back. I then put a GOVT Colt A2 stock on my SWAT with a commercial tube.

You can do the work yourself. It's easy. Biggest problem I had was getting the end cap (buttstock) with the Pistol off the reciever. I thad a bunch of locktite on the threads.

9. alfred10

alfred10 New Member

How do you ship a Class 3 weapon in and out of state to have work done? Who engraves them for 40.00? Does someone actually do the work if I send them the pistol?

10. alfred10

alfred10 New Member

How exactly do you change the parts? It would be nice if sig would just send you a lower. How much do they charge to swap lowers? Will a classic lower bolt right on?

11. Scharfshutzen

Scharfshutzen New Member

I highly recommend Orion Arms; excellent service and reasonable prices! Cost for me was $50 for the engraving with $17 return shipping (it cost me $13 to ship). All work done to ATF regulations!

12. Scharfshutzen

Scharfshutzen New Member

When I converted my SIG P556 to SBR configuration, I just used a 14-inch pair of channel locks and un-screwed my receiver end-cap; it took me all of three-seconds to do! This is no big deal! To me – so easy to convert to a SIG P556 to SBR configuration – it’s scary! Just get your ATF Form 1, remove the receiver end cap and install the buttstock of your choice, and have the receiver engraved with your name, city, and state; you are good to go!

I wish everyone the best in their business – but – you really do not need a special tool! Just use a pair of channel locks (that you probably already have or can easily borrow from a family member or friend).

13. bmuoio

bmuoio New Member

nbj

jnjb

14. oldguard60

oldguard60 Member

Engraving Specs: and other question.

I have not been able to located the specifications on the engraving size, font, depth? Engraved on upper receiver?
    Next question: I understand the difference of the buffer tube size, commerical or military, but is the thread size the same? I guess my question is really, will either size of buffer tube screw into the reciver of a P556?

15. officer960

officer960 New Member

Threads are the same. Also, as of late Sig apparently is trying to dispose of their surplus red loctite. My cap was a bear to remove.... the entire threaded area was covered in red loctite on mine.

16. bmuoio

bmuoio New Member

17. oldguard60

oldguard60 Member

Cheap Tool

I used a master link chain #530 to remove my cap on the p556, it was not in too tights.

18. bmuoio

bmuoio New Member

Re: Cheap Tool

I wonder where you got the Idea. Very observant.

19. bmuoio

bmuoio New Member

kmm

20. oldguard60

oldguard60 Member

Sig Cap removal

I also have a 919 Honda and the master link fit very close so it was the first thing I thought of instead of buying a tool. Most of my life, military and cilivian work experiences have taught me there are many answers t o a single problem. The more a person is exposed to in lfe the better they solve issues.