bolt carrier question

Discussion in 'Uppers, Lowers, Barrels and Parts' started by hawk_550, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

i have a bolt carrier and it is marked with a number like "026" how ever my bolt head is not marked the same, so my question is, does sig number their civilian bolt carriers or do i have a swiss carrier ? like i said my bolt carrier is numbered but not my bolt head

can any one give me some insight ?
  2. datcha

datcha Administrator

That is most likely a Swiss carrier, Sig Sauer Inc. (USA) does not roll mark their carriers or bolts, only SAN does. Another way to tell is if your bolt carrier is black, then it is Swiss, USA bolt carriers are light gray.

SAN Swiss bolts have a polished shaft and face and are also roll marked with an SN#.
  3. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

my bolt carrier is light gray but it has the roll mark my bolt head is black and not polished, how ever polishing the shaft and face sounds like an awesome idea, and black oxiding my carrier sounds like an awesome idea as well
  4. datcha

datcha Administrator

Post a picture of your bolt carrier if you can.
  5. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

i can on sunday
  6. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

here is a pic of a bolt carrier, mine looks the same how ever in the red area is where their is a number stamped, my carrier is this gray color my bolt head has no markings what so ever. I have no idea the origin of the carrier its odd for it to have a roll mark in it on this side of the carrier

[​IMG]
  7. datcha

datcha Administrator

Only the Swiss bolts and carriers are roll marked with SN#'s. I heard rumors about certain newer 556's being shipped with Swiss parts again which included bolt carrier assemblies and gas systems. The pictured bolt carrier and yours are definitely Swiss, however it's odd that they were not melonited black like usual.

The pic below is of an American bolt assembly on the left and a Swiss one on the right, you can see the locations for the roll marked SN#'s on the Swiss BCA.

Attached Files:

8. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

vary cool, so now that it is confirmed i have a swiss carrier, what is the benefit/draw back to this, my guess is i have to take it out and sell it because its a f/a carrier or modify it some how so its not f/a
  9. pighunter

pighunter Member

The carrier has nothing to do with F/A. on the 550 series that is controlled by the trigger group
  10. hawk_550

hawk_550 Member

so any advantage of the swiss carrier