best ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition, Magazines, & Reloading' started by speedpower, Oct 17, 2010.

1. speedpower

speedpower New Member

What is the best ammo for the 556? meaning which grain :?:

2. rainman74

rainman74 Member

55 for economy, 75 for accuracy.

3. nih

nih New Member

69 gr privi was shooting great for me, indoor 100 yrds, almost same hole off a bipod. others all seemed loose, never shot 75gr..i just see dollar bills flying down range.

4. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Member

I would like to add to this question of "best ammo".

Which would be your top three ammo choices for 100 yds or less / homestead defense? (This is where prices is not important. Also, I do not have reloading equipment so the choices are constrained to "off the shelf" products.)

Also, kind of a tricky question, which plinking ammo is the best (with best being defined as clean, fairly accurate, and not necessarily the cheapest)?

(This seems to be good ammo: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10048)

5. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Member

After testing a fair amount of different factory ammo for accuracy through a Sig 556 DMR and two Classic SWATs (links below), more often than not, my go to ammo is Hornady 55 gr soft point. It's accurate, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. As a soft point it will work for HD, although I also keep a few mags of M855 penetrators around just in case the Zombies have learned to wear vests. Lately, I've also been trying out the Hornady 5.56 Superformance 75 gr BTHP that SkyPup brought to everyone's attention here in a recent thread (also below). So far, it has turned out to be a pretty good round.

DMR:
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10023

SWAT:
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9932

Superformance:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10048

6. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

7. sd1023x

sd1023x New Member

8. sirgilligan

sirgilligan Member

9. sealusn50cal

sealusn50cal New Member

1 and 7 twist barrels require a heavier grain.

10. Muhr

Muhr New Member

require is a strong word, I have yet to see any 55 grain projectile do anything but perform out of my 556.

That being said, best performance I have seen has been with 75gr Hornady TAPs.

But even with 55 grain Russian steel cased copper washed the ammo was on target.

11. goo

goo Member

Interesting choice. I bought a bunch of Hornady 55 gr and have not been impressed. Maybe 8 moa. I've heard some Sigs are more picky about heavy bullets than others. If it works for you that's great because less $$, but I have been unimpressed. With that said, I've had a my gun a year now and no one can get better 4 MOA.

12. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Member

Sorry to hear about that goo...4 moa is not so great, although it's enough for a consistent chest shot at 100 yd I guess (LOL). The more I read here and elsewhere, the more I realize that the 556 CAN be a pretty finicky beast when it comes to the ammo it likes to eat. There seems to be a very wide range depending on whose gun it is. I felt fortunate that the Hornady 55 gr SP worked well in mine, because it is a lot less $$$ than BH or FGMM 77 gr. Per the advice from Skypup, I also bought a bunch of the Hornady 75 gr Superformance, which seems to be doing ok. Southwest Ammunition, which has a VERY good reputation, is offering a less expensive match grade ammunition loaded in brass cases with 77 gr SMKs that they call their Run N Gun ammo (link below). At $25.00 per box of 50, this is even a few bucks cheaper than the Hornady 55 gr SP, so I will probably try a few boxes out. If it shoots reasonably well, I will probably have found a new "everyday" range ammo for my 556s.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/runngun.htm

13. Parsley Charlie

Parsley Charlie New Member

Re: best ammoOh, and two more things: 1) To totally stretch

Interesting. I've been on a quest the last 4 months or so to really see how accurate I/ my SIG can be. So I've been buying the dollar a round ammo and made a few improvements to see just how far (or close) I could push this platform.
    First off I installed an accu-wedge ( Um, highly suggested.) Secondly I wrapped a velcro strap around my hand guards (they're still loose front to rear but what the hell), third, I installed a Millet 4x16x50 scope ( aka the "Hubble"). I shoot rested front and rear similiar to sd1023x's links set up.

Oh, and two more things: 1) To totally stretch the accuracy I shot one round at a time sans magazine and 2) waited a minute or so for the barrel to cool.

I've been getting very good groups w/ Hornady 75 grain Superformance (.223 a touch better than 5.56, go figure). I've tried a lot of different ammo brands (all dollar a round types) and weights (I even tried 53 gr Superformance, acheived an inch group) and I've found Hornady 55 grain V-Max to be the most accurate in my rifle. Yep 55 grain. I thought I'd found the Holy Grail when I discovered Superformance 75 gr, but then one week Midway was out so I bought some V-Max just to see. It is the most accurate ammo I've ever shot out of mine.

For whatever reason my groups expand anytime I shoot anything in the 60's range.Go figure.

PS You'll notice on one of my pics (circular target) an errant 5th round to the left of a great 5 round group to be: That was the last shot out of the mag. I've observed that the last round chambered out of a mag does this consistantly, it even sounds/feels different when fired ( read something similiar about FAL's on the FAL Files). So subsequently I've deleted the mag.

All I know is my rifle with Hornady is pretty darn accurate .
    http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slide ... _46237943/

14. Muad-dib

Muad-dib New Member

I'm happy with 55 gr. bullets. But, I did start using 62 gr. in my 556. The groups shrank. They were not huge with 55 gr. but not as tight as my ARs with iron sights. So, I took board member's experience/suggestions and tried the 62 gr. and the 556 groups as well as my ARs which is my benchmark. Though, I kept catching deals on bulk 55 gr. stuff so I've been trying to shoot that stockpile up and replace it with all 62 gr.

I agree with gstaylorg. I tried some Hornady .223 55 gr. that was on sale to see if the Hornady loads would make any improvement over the .55 gr. 5.56 American Eagle and Winchester white box. There was an improvement.

15. stormin556

stormin556 New Member

when i bought my 556 i had bought 2 differents kinds of ammo both were fmj 55 grain the federal shot like crap had a couple jams and didnt like it at all maybe 5 moa so i thought it was the gun cause of the jams my buddy said try the remington 55 grain umc (L223r3) this ammo shot way better but with i didnt buy 1k rounds of it lol. i would say 2-3 moa but only 1 jam out of about 300 rounds and all i had to do was pull the clip and reload it gonna order some differnet ammo this week gonna buy 100 rounds of 2-3 different ammos and grains and see which ammo the 556 likes. i have the 556 short swat model

16. Pa.Bill

Pa.Bill New Member

I've just started to shoot distance (300yards) with SIG 556.
    I'm finding heavier is better.
    At 100 yards I don't think it matters- unless you'er looking for hole in hole.

17. sealusn50cal

sealusn50cal New Member

Try SSA 5.6MM 77 Grain OTM your weapon will be a tack driver.But lets not worry about
    cost. You will like the results :D

18. L3ng

L3ng New Member

Decided to take my SIG out to do some big game hunting in October. What's the best ammo out there for it? I know alot of people say the .223 round is not lethal enough but I just want to try it out once.

19. GunNut

GunNut New Member

The 556 prefers heavier bullets.

20. Ar180shooter

Ar180shooter Member

I've had excellent results with Hornady Steel Match 55gr in my Sig, it's a 1 in 10 twist though, so your mileage may vary.