556R AMMO USAGE UPDATE

Discussion in '556R Discussion' started by cr556, Mar 23, 2011.

1. cr556

cr556 New Member

I got the 556R with the intent of using the steel cased ammo. I took the rifle out today and it shot fine until I got to the wolf ammo. I called Sig and talked to Josh in customer service, he informed me that Sig will void the warranty if steel cased ammo is used and that it will not work in the rifle. Only brass and non-corrosive ammo is to be used in the rifle. i will be selling the rifle due to the fact that I have several cases of the steel ammo and that Sig did not put a disclaimer on the web. Josh made the statement " Its in the owner manual but not on the web" So if you are thinking of buying the Sig 556R you can only use brass ammo.

2. samnev

samnev New Member

Re: WARNING!!! DO NOT BUY 556R

SIG strikes out again!!! :shock:

3. easy-v

easy-v Member

Is there a technical reason for this? That should really be what this discussion is about.

I just shot a bunch of wolf last weekend out of my classic last weekend, no issues. The cases were beat all to hell, but 0 problemo.

4. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Member

The only thing I can find in the instruction manual is the standard boilerplate stuff about being sure to use the correct ammo, not use reloaded stuff, not lubricating the ammo, and such.

It goes on to say don't use "remanufactured," hand-loaded, or other non-standard ammunition.

There's nothing in the manual about this.

OTOH as I was typing this I was on the phone with Sig and spoke with "Scott," and I asked him about this and was told it IS TRUE -- not supposed to be used with steel cased ammo!!

:twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :shock:

I don't know how to take this. I have scads of the steel cased stuff, so I guess it's gonna be used. It must be some kind of boilerplate stuff. People use steel in AR rifles....I can't understand what is so different about this rifle from an ordinary AK that would mean this can't use steel cased stuff.

Warning people not to buy this rifle is too much.
    But Sig should be more forthright about this. I, like many here, bought this rifle to use with the ammo that's commonly available and the majority of that is going to be the Russian steel stuff.
    Another goof on Sig. :evil:

5. Accomplice

Accomplice Member

They can't void the warranty unless they tell you not to use steel cased ammo in writing. The 556R has no issues with it and neither did any of my 5 other 5.56 caliber 556 rifles. I wouldn't sweat it. I plan to shoot a crapload of Wolf and not much else.

6. the boz

the boz New Member

it will be hard from them to void the warranty if it is not in print in the owners manual. you can say one thing, but if it is not in print it holds little to no legal ground.

edit: just re-read the owners manual. nothing about not using corrosive and or brass cased. if they try to enforce this i smell a class action.

only reason i have ever read of why not to use steal cased is it is hard on the extractor.

7. cr556

cr556 New Member

You know it is disheartening to find out the gun you want is not up to the standards of a 3ed world country gun(AK). And have to worry about the use of ammo that the world is so known for. What does this say about Sig. That they produce a far less gun or its just not up to the world standards. How sad. And our local police department went to Sig pistols. Hope they are up to the task. Their lives depend on them.

8. Apache

Apache New Member

Wow, I'll be sure to take ya'lls advice and stay clear of all things SIG ... :roll:

9. cr556

cr556 New Member

Tommygunn, Iam sorry and you are right what I should have said was do not buy this gun if you want to use steel case ammo. That was a little strong. Just a little hurt that I spent all that money and was not informed that it was not to used with the steel cased ammo. The web page at Sig should have said something.

10. the boz

the boz New Member

^ did they say steel cased only? did they also say brass that was corrosive as well?

11. cr556

cr556 New Member

Josh told me no steel case and no corrosive. That I should use the white box brass ammo.

12. Trooper

Trooper New Member

Seen two Sig 556's in the shop locked up tight with Wolf steel case crap..Ive got a DMR and would never consider shooting the steel stuff through it anyway...I save the Wolf for my AR platforms in which it works fine, if you consider 5-6" groups at 100 yds , fine...It is wonderful Grandson ammunition.. :) Lots of noise and smoke...and CHEAP...

I suspect the problem has to do with the closer tolerances that make Sigs a high quality weapon. If I owned a Ferrari 458, I wouldn't burn 87 octane ethenol gas nor buy cheap-o tires for it either.

Carried a Sig 220 in my LEO days...several thousand rounds of ammo fired downrange with it and NEVER had a malfunction...Factory or handloads...100% dependable.

IMHO, keep a Sig reasonably clean and lubed, shoot decent quality brass cased ammo and you have the most dependable firearm made. My carry today is a Sig 220 Equinox.. Hope I never have to bet my life on it, but in case I ever do, I'm confident it will go bang when I pull the trigger and hit exactly where Im aiming...every time...

On the other hand, I believe Sig should make potential customers aware of the steel case issue before they purchase ...Other than being very annoying to the unknowing shooter, it could be life threatning....Put a disclamer on the box and in the manual in boldface plain view...Before I will sell a Sig 556 to a customer, I personally warn them about Wolf and the other steel case stuff...Don't know how steel case ammo works in Sig handguns...Never expect to find out either unless someone tells me. :wink:

13. goo

goo Member

One of the reason I bought Sig was that it "ate" steel cased ammo where AR's had FTF and other problems. All the salesmen at various stores also mentioned this reputation. I read the entire manual and never saw anything about avoid steel cased ammo. I assume this is specific to 556R?

BTW - I have shot over 1,000 stell cased through my Classic with no problems, but terrible accuracy

14. goo

goo Member

P.S. WHO READS THE OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE BUYING SOMETHING?

If Sig really wants to start this voiding warrant for using anything put Lake City 5.56, then they should get the word out there instead of claiming it is burried in owners manual (even thought it is not in there.)

15. Trooper

Trooper New Member

Re: Warranty issues

Re: the corrosive primer and warranty threads...

I think SIG and most all other firearms manufactures add the voided warranty clause for handloads, corrosive ammo etc...If someone shoots the corrosive junk, sticks the rifle in a closet without cleaning for a year or so, only later to find the bore and bolt face rusted and pitted all to Hell, I don't think it is the maunfactures problem...Same thing with handloads...Blow the thing up with a botched reload and it aient their fault...Makes sense to me...

One of our customers with a jammed action caused by steel cased ammo, sent his rifle back to Sig..(Didn't buy it from us so he didn't get my personal warning. :| ) They repaired it promptly at no charge and even paid the return shipping costs....However, they sent a letter with the return stating something to the effect; "Under NO circumstances should Wolf or any other steel cased ammo be shot in SIG firearms at anytime."....A big hassle for the owner who didnt know about the steel issue... :(

Generally speaking, I've had nothing but good results from SIGs warranty service center.

16. Quake Guy

Quake Guy New Member

given that sig warranty and customer service sucks, I am not really sure that should be a deciding factor if your rifle works with steel case ammo.

17. datcha

datcha Administrator

Just about every firearm manufacturer pretty much has stated not to use steel case lacquered/polymer coated ammo in their firearms. :roll:

18. SkyPup

SkyPup Active Member

But it is the preferred ammo of benchrest Islamofascist rifle shooters around the world! :mrgreen:

19. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Member

I think the idea is it's *probably* OK to use it .... as long as it works in the particular rifle.
    I have seen rifles jam up on brass stuff too.
    Not denying that it happens but....all manufacturers put out a few duds.
    The M-1 Garand had issues with its gas system when it first entered service.
    And later Patton said it was the "best war implement ever made."

Now if Sig would gets its ****** QC problems worked out ....... :twisted:

20. Sarge1998

Sarge1998 Member

I've shot Silver Bear and Gold Bear in my P228, no problems except the odor of cat urine, that stuff is stinky. I've plenty of 556 ammo with brass case, after I shoot the remaining Gold Bear up I'm sticking with brass. Maybe it has something to do with the looser tolerances of the Russian weapons, I'm sure someone knows.